Dr. Hota is a senior professional with over 44 years of experience in development, administration with specific expertise in public administration, health, industry, urban development, project management, public sector restructuring and privatization. Verifiable track record in increasing performance in organizations through dynamic leadership, strategy planning, process of standardization and successful program implementation, He is an Administrator who wants to take pride in ‘Thinking in Scale and in Detail’ for country’s growth. Dr. Hota has completed his masters from Delhi University followed by Post Graduate Programs in Public Administration from East West Central University of Hawaii & a Post Graduate Program in Business Administration from Columbia University. He has also been a visiting fellow at the Oxford University. Dr. Hota joined the Indian Administrative Services in 1969 & was the ‘Topper of the Batch’.
Dr. Hota has to his credit some significant contributions as Secretary, Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India (2003-2006):
- Provided leadership to the health sector in the Country to build up a partnership in public health between the Federal and Local Governments under a complex and dynamic political milieu.
- Was instrumental (i) in designing national level health program (NRHM); (ii) in inclusion of home based new born care component in child health package, namely, the Integrated Management of Neo natal & Childhood Illness; (iii) in critical child health policy decision such as introduction of Zinc, new WHO- ORS in the National program and start of breast feeding partnership etc.
- Improved maternal health indicator, namely institutional delivery rate & overseen a decline in MMR by 50% from about 520 per 100000 live births to around 178. Institutional delivery spurt [from a mere 5 lakhs per year to now 120 lakh per year] in low-performing States is attributed to his Janani Surkhsya Yojana Scheme.
- Dr. Hota is basically a RESULT-ORIENTED Managerial Person who achieves the result through client-sensitiveness and efficiency. He headed 8 Public Sector Undertakings including working in a Steel Plant and turned around each one of them from loss to profit. He has energized the long moribund primary health care in the country by applying principles of sound management with a realistic and equitable approach to make available health care to rural India.
- Synergized multi-disciplinary professionals from diverse cultural background representing doctors, Para-medics, nurses, drug inspectors, food inspectors, medical architects, public health specialist, midwives, financial personnel, MBAs, System Analysts etc.
- Membership of Indian Public Health Association and FOGSI- Federation of Obstetricians & Gynecologists of India – one of very few non-medicos to be so honored.
At the State level, besides holding several senior positions responsible for rapid industrialization/ industrial promotion, and disaster mitigation as Special Relief Commissioner, he contributed as Secretary, Health & Family Welfare. He has served with distinction in urban development and housing sector for more than a decade as Urban Secretary, Chairman Housing Board, VC BDA in the State; and, VC DDA and Addl. Secretary, Urban Dev. in Govt. of India.
After retirement as Secretary, Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, Dr. Hota joined a Health Project called “Norway-India Partnership Initiative (NIPI)” as a Director under the United Nations Office for Projects and Services, which is an outcome of the commitment made by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of Norway and the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, focusing on the issue of reducing child mortality and improving child health to attain the Millennium Development Goal 4 by the year 2015. Dr. Hota is committed to improve primary health care, health system and empower common people to reduce maternal and infant mortality in India. Public Service with passion and efficiency is his creed. Dr. Hota has been conferred the title of ‘Commander Knight’ in 2010 by King of Norway for his immense contribution to the Health of Mother and Children; and QUIMPRO Award of Excellence in Public Service in 2011. Recently he has been honored by Rotary International for being a leading persona in helping India get rid of the dreaded disease of Polio in addition to the honor Rotary bestowed on him in 2006 bestowed earlier on President Bill Clinton of USA for exceptional contribution to fight for eliminating Polio from India.
Dr. Hota is also a believer in IT based reforms in each layer of public services in India to improve efficiency, transactional speed, elimination of corruption and increasing availability of goods and services for all Indians. Client/ citizen sensitivity has to be the basis. He feels that there is a large band (60%) of population in India which could be called the upper poor and the lower middle class which is now ready to pay for health and other services on assurance of dignified access and reasonable quality. And services can be organized on sustainable low cost business model.
Dr. Prasanna Hota
- Core Advisory Team
- Formerly, Secretary, Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India